Thursday morning was suppose to be my day to get things done for the weekend. I didn't have to get anywhere until the afternoon. As I was finishing getting ready for the day I heard loud banging over the hairdryer. I turned the dryer off and realized it was coming from the door where the toilet is in my bathroom. "Mommy, get me out of here!" is what I heard mixed in with constant pounding and kicking. Carter decided to lock himself in. Well, if he is strong enough and smart enough to lock it, shouldn't he be able to UNLOCK it? He became quite panicked so it took awhile to get him calm enough to get him to try anything. After about 20 minutes of unsuccessfully getting him to turn the lock the other direction, I got the hammer and screw driver out. Carter knows when I am not right by the door. If I step into my room I hear, "Mom, I can't see you". He has his little face pressed on the floor, looking under to see my feet. "Mommy, touch my hands", "Mommy can you please help me, I want you". I was trying!!! After taking the hinges off the door still wouldn't come off. I tried Q-tips, bobby pine, little screw driver, and a wire hanger. I called John who was in meetings. I called the contractor hoping he would be around to have a suggestion or help me. Because our house is new, I wasn't super excited about breaking my door or the trim but it looked like it was coming to that. A couple hours later, John finally arrived. He thought talking to Carter some more would work....him giving the SAME instructions might make the difference :). I even drew a picture of the door knob and lock that he sent under the door for further instruction. Luckily, John got the lock slid has I was finding pliers for the hack saw. We got him out!!! He was sooooo excited and stinky! Later that afternoon the contractor finally called me back and said that door should have a little key somewhere. Wouldn't that have been nice. My day to get a lot accomplished was spent on my knees outside the bathroom door. You got to love toddlers!!! The JOYS of being a mom! PRICELESS!!!
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Locked In!
Thursday morning was suppose to be my day to get things done for the weekend. I didn't have to get anywhere until the afternoon. As I was finishing getting ready for the day I heard loud banging over the hairdryer. I turned the dryer off and realized it was coming from the door where the toilet is in my bathroom. "Mommy, get me out of here!" is what I heard mixed in with constant pounding and kicking. Carter decided to lock himself in. Well, if he is strong enough and smart enough to lock it, shouldn't he be able to UNLOCK it? He became quite panicked so it took awhile to get him calm enough to get him to try anything. After about 20 minutes of unsuccessfully getting him to turn the lock the other direction, I got the hammer and screw driver out. Carter knows when I am not right by the door. If I step into my room I hear, "Mom, I can't see you". He has his little face pressed on the floor, looking under to see my feet. "Mommy, touch my hands", "Mommy can you please help me, I want you". I was trying!!! After taking the hinges off the door still wouldn't come off. I tried Q-tips, bobby pine, little screw driver, and a wire hanger. I called John who was in meetings. I called the contractor hoping he would be around to have a suggestion or help me. Because our house is new, I wasn't super excited about breaking my door or the trim but it looked like it was coming to that. A couple hours later, John finally arrived. He thought talking to Carter some more would work....him giving the SAME instructions might make the difference :). I even drew a picture of the door knob and lock that he sent under the door for further instruction. Luckily, John got the lock slid has I was finding pliers for the hack saw. We got him out!!! He was sooooo excited and stinky! Later that afternoon the contractor finally called me back and said that door should have a little key somewhere. Wouldn't that have been nice. My day to get a lot accomplished was spent on my knees outside the bathroom door. You got to love toddlers!!! The JOYS of being a mom! PRICELESS!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Wow! i bet that was quite the ordeal. I'm glad you were able to get him out of there.
What an experience!!! Did you find the keys to the door yet?! Poor Carter, I can picture Ashton doing the same thing!
Post a Comment